it’s been awhile since i’ve done a monthly wrap-up.
i didn’t have anything much to talk about this summer since i was out of school and gone for a month on hiatus. mostly, i’ve been chilling and doing nothing for the month of august, but i really wanted to end the summer before i go back to school with a wrap-up post.
overall, august was a veeery chill and lax month. my sister and all my friends went back to school mid-august, so mostly i was sitting at home alone being very bored watching Glee.
i also renamed my monthly wrap-up-series-thing to reflections and reveries. GET IT?? because my blog is called reverie pages??
no? ok i thought it was kinda smart but ok.
i’m sorry that this post is a little late! i wish i could have posted this on the first of september, but another post, albeit a very exciting one, got in the way. i guess i could have combined the two posts, but i very urgently wanted to share my exciting news?? soooo…
august was a very reading-slump-ish month for me. i finished my goodreads reading challenge (WOO), aaand then promptly stopped reading (BOO). the first part of the month started out fine with the beginning of #TheReadingQuest and whatnot, but then i started rewatching Glee (alll six seasons) on netflix, and it all went downhill from there…i managed to only read four books, and i’m kinda disappointed in myself. oh well. i needed a break anyway from reading.
a REALLY GOOD debut featuring chinese folklore, glorious sass, and all around stabbiness #YES
i loved the format that this was told in but was slightly disappointed overall?? idk i just don’t really love books about space.
W O W i loved this. the writing was beautiful, the characters were well developed, and the atmosphere was so magical! full review coming later this september!
really, i have no clue how much time i’m going to have to read this month, so this is just a rough estimate?? we’ll see what happens.
Wicked Like a Wildfire by Lana Popović (currently reading: aka magicalness, beautiful writing, and Montenegro)
Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust (currently reading: aka feminist queens, glass warriors, and snow powers)
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (aka dark stabby fantasy and assassins MY FAVE)
The Girl with the Red Balloon by Katherine Locke (time traveling historical fiction post wwii that sounds EPIC)
Otherworld by Kirsten Miller and Jason Segel (urmm an arc i don’t remember requesting but sounds kinda like Warcross??)
i’m having issues with my site stats right now since i just moved my blog, so i can’t share my top posts of the month with you guys, but let’s just address my biggest blogging news, the elephant in the room:
as i’ve mentioned about a million times, i just moved from blogger to self hosted wordpress! woohoo!
i wrote a full post on why i moved + a life update here, so go check it out if you haven’t already!
so far, i’m SO MUCH happier with wordpress than blogger– the customization is much easier and i have so many more options, and i looovee the way my blog looks! the community has also been awesome so far!
and i forgot to address this in my last post, but this is why i changed my blog name: the lovely ilsa at A Whisper of Ink wrote an amazing post about being unsatisfied with your blog, and over my past almost-year of blogging, the one thing i’ve been consistently dissatisfied with has been my blog name. early spring, i changed my blog name to A Paper Reverie, and while i loved this name, i didn’t like the way the url / my social media handles looked (shallow, i know).
i thought about removing the “a” from this name, but the paperreverie.com was not available, so i changed and shortened my blog name to Reverie Pages! i love the way the url and my social medias look with this name, and i’ve already registered the domain, so i’m fairly confident that this is my final blog name forever.
around the internet
- may at Forever and Everly shared her secrets of how she manages to be a supremely amazing blogger
- ilsa at A Whisper of Ink talked about being dissatisfied with your blog.
- cait at Paper Fury shared the weirdest things about being a book blogger #RELATABLE
- faith at Cozy Sweater Reads shared her arc review of Warcross by Marie Lu (which i am totally STOKED ABOUT)
- Twirling Pages blog turned three years old and celebrated with a giveaway!
- helia at Rose Quartz Reads did the Mid Year Book Freak Out tag.
- VE SCHWAB IS WRITING A SPIN OFF SERIES CALLED THREADS OF POWER AND OMG I’VE NEVER BEEN MORE EXCITED IN MY LIFE *SQUEEEEEEEE* i’m so happy!!! can i just have this now??
Here’s the thing.
As a writer.
As a female writer.
As a gay female writer.
As a gay female writer of SFF.
This doesn’t happen. https://t.co/3BhCR2v0n5
— Victoria/V.E. Schwab (@veschwab) August 29, 2017
- umm taylor swift’s new song came out and i. do. not. like. it.
- conan gray came out with his new song “grow” + a music video for it and i’m in love.
- what else happened i don’t even remember??
- as i mentioned earlier, N O T H I N G at all happened to me this month.
- everyone in my town went back to school except for me because i am moving to new hampshire for boarding school.
- i watched all six seasons of Glee though! THAT SHOW IS AMAZING. especially the first three seasons. the representation of sexuality is sooo good throughout the series. 10/10 would recommend.
- i packed for school and brainstormed decor for my dorm room! do you guys maybe want to see a dorm room tour after i get moved in this week??
- W O W i can’t even believe that i am leaving my hometown for school this week? i’m really excited and really nervous.
- i started posting again on my instagram! and kinda changed my theme??
- i’m still trying to figure out which books to bring with me to school and it is a MAJOR STRUGGLE.
- i’m training for cross county season, which means a lot of running! i ran eight miles the other day. YES I’M PROUD OF MYSELF.
fave music of the month
“grow” by conan gray
“amerika” by young the giant
“something to believe in” by young the giant
“someday” by MIMI
“not part of the broken hearts club” by MIMI
“COPYCAT” by billie eilish
“my boy” by billie eilish
“idontwannabeyouanymore” by billie eilish
“all i can think about is you” by coldplay
- keep blogging, even when school starts. BUT prioritize school WAY more than blogging.
- read at least a couple books.
- DRINK WATER. madeline, the fact is you most definitely feel better when you drink a lot of water SO JUST DO IT.
- move into my dorm and make it feel homey.
- KEEP AN OPEN MIND. everything is changing this month, but it’s going to be so much more fun if you keep and open mind and aren’t too uptight.
- fix some things about my blog theme! (there are still a lot of issues that i need to resolve.)
- REVIEW MORE BOOKS ON GOODREADS.